The kids and I got on our way around 12:45 Thursday afternoon. (I had to work in the am). Around 1:45 we stopped in Wellston for drink-things were going very well. Right around Lake City my new van's tire pressure gage light came on-Tim had just filled the tire the previous Friday. So, I stopped at a gas station, asked to borrow a tire pressure gage and it read about 25 lbs (40-45 is normal). So, I fill it up and figure I will get the small leak fixed tomorrow in Escanaba.
Well, somewhere between Lake City and Gaylord, Janice (Dad's fiance`) calls me and says that dad is really sick-he called her on his cell, but she is at the airport in GR! Lucky enough I was on the other line with Tim and tell him to call his dad (Tim was at work) right away! So, I am still driving - worrying now about Dad. Tim calls me back to say he called an ambulance for dad and was leaving work to meet them at the hospital! Talk about stress. I didn't know if I should turn around or not.
So, I keep going-a little before Gaylord - guess what??- My tire light comes on again! So, after doing some asking I drive up to Gaylord (about 9 miles away at this point) and stop at a Goodyear tire shop (it is now 4:30 in the afternoon) and they agree to help the poor woman and her 2 kids by fixing my tire asap. Only cost me $15 to get my tire all fixed up! Around 5:15 I am back on the road. Meanwhile, Tim calls and his dad was feeling a lot better and they were running tests to find out what happened.
So, I keep going on my trek to the UP!
Finally we made it to the Mackinaw bridge and as I am white knuckled driving across, my STUPID tire light goes on again! I tell you I was ready to scream at this point. (It is about 6:45ish)
And again, I stop at a gas station-ask to borrow a tire gage and this time it is down to like 18lbs of air! I ended up calling Chris (Lucy's hubby) and getting his advice. I called AAA (love that free roadside assistance) and George from George's garage comes with his tow truck. I end up following him to his garage where his 2 buddies are there hanging and kicking back with a few beers and he checks out my tire just to tell me that I have 3 holes now and 2 are in the sidewall and cannot be fixed! And.....He cannot get me a tire until the morning!!!!!!! Plus to add to it-St. Ignace was having a car show-so, if I could find a room it would probably cost me well over $125 a night! Lovely!
I ended up telling George to put on my spare, said a little prayer and set out for Gladstone going about 45 mph all the way there. Shortly after leaving George I put in the CD of Beverly Clearly's Book Double Fudge-the kids were into it until they became so slap happy from being in the car for 8 hrs and could not stop laughing for anything-which started to drive me crazy! And all we had to eat since lunch was snacks!
Our 6.5 hr trip took us almost 10 hours!! When we finally got there, ate some dinner - the kids went to bed and I had a stiff Rum and Coke! I actually kept it together until Saturday when I cried and cried. Frustration, worry about Dad-it all hit me! Oh yeah and I did get 2 new tires in Escanaba on Friday morning.
Here are some pics of the kids playing on the slip-n-slide at Lucy's for Ella's b-day and pics of the kids in front of the "Big Mac" on the way home.


Also, please keep Tim's family in your prayers as his Grandpa Cory (His mom's Dad) passed away yesterday (Monday) and Tim's dad is going to a specialist today to see what is going on with his brain.Yes, our life is quite rough these days!
No comments:
Post a Comment