It is really hard to imagine myself not as a mom. It really is a huge (a majority) part of what defines me. I know that I will always be mom to these 3 beautiful kiddos (maybe 4? Ok, so no more in the plan, but God has a way of weaving our story!), but someday I won't hear that, "moooommmmm!" called out daily or even weekly. Although that time is quite sometime away, I am amazed at how fast our lives do go bye when you are not looking. Has it really been 10 years since I delivered my beautiful dancing princess. Jay cannot be 7 already! And yes, it has been 6 whole months since we were in China! I look at Gabe and so wish we would have known him during those first 3.5 years. But instead this time during his first year home I find myself memorizing all his firsts and all the cute things he does just as I did when Jo and Jay were babies.
Gabe no longer uses any mandarin, and that makes me so sad. Yes, when we first came home all I wanted was to communicate with him, but now that he is fully speaking english~~I miss it. I miss China too-strange as it is. We didn't have the most smooth trip, but I wish to go back, to his birth country-hopefully someday to take him for a visit.
Gabe doesn't refer to Tim as Baba, only Da or Dad now. I do like his shortened version of Daddy to Da. We both loved to hear Gabe talk about Tim's truck as Baba's biiiig twucka!
Gabe mastered the term "why" for just about everything and has held on to it strong for over 4 months now-LOL
He still soothes himself before going to bed that same way he did in China and probably the way he always had as a baby and that is by gathering up his sleeve in his hand and rubbing it on his lips. That is one of his "babyisms" that I love.
Gabe eats everything!! He loooves veggies and last week enjoyed sauerkraut??? And to think that I panicked in the restaurants in China about finding him food he would eat-what a little faker he was!
My baby is growing up each day-by leaps and bounds. Granted, the weight is not going on like I thought, he is my little guy-but each day he looks a little older and I want to tell it to STOP!! Can't I just pause it enough so that we can get those 3.5 missed years back!? I guess not, so I guess I will just keep writing it all down and taking a zillion pictures so that he will have the same number of photo albums as Jo and Jay do.
3 comments:
Jess, what a beautiful tribute from a wonderful mom! I'm so glad that God has woven our lives together. Love, Janice
That sounds so cute how he rubs his lips w/ his sleave. He probably won't ever fully grow out of that. ha, ha!
I too have been not so happy about Ewen's lack of weight gain. He eats everything like Gabe, yet still managed to lose 2 lbs between Sept & Jan! (He did grow 2 inches, though.) So now I have a 3 year old who wears 18 mos floods. Thank goodness for the few pair of pants that have those adjustable straps!
Oh I know, doesn't time race? Like you I find myself already lamenting that Darcy is speaking less and less Chinese every day.
Post a Comment