Saturday, March 5, 2011

Eating Healthy


You know, after a while you really do 'get used' or should I say 'not notice' as much of a difference in eating low/no fat items compared to their full power counterparts...
Since Thanksgiving I have lost 26 lbs. I get asked 'how' a lot...well, it has been a looooonnnnggg road for me, one of which will last my entire life. When I was in 7th grade I really began to notice my weight, I was big for a 7th grader. My mom took me to the doctor who put me on a diet, which I was ok with as I wanted to play volleyball. I had said that I would not play looking the way I did at the time. It was my choice. Some may think a young adolescent should not be put on a diet, but I will tell you that I think I was somewhere in the adult size 16 range. I was unhappy. I loved to eat. And I was in no danger of becoming anorexic. Yeah, no chance of that here! So, I dieted and lost, played volleyball and although I wasn't tiny through school by any means, I don't think I was too bad. I grew taller also, so that helped! LOL And so it went, I can document my life based on my weight at the time...-went up my first year at college...-down again at the end of college...-had my first baby (that says it all there)...and up and down and up and down! Whew!
About 5 years ago it hit me...not only do I love to eat, but I am also an emotional eater. That year I had a very rough class of kids. It wasn't just typical naughty kids, it was abuse, violence, neglect etc. It took a toll on me. I cried so much over this group of kiddos and every night I went home and ate all night long! That summer I said "enough" and one of my dear friends became my partner and we lost together. We emailed 3 times a day with our calorie count and guilted each other to exercise. I had the want to do it and I did-lost 30 lbs and kept it off! Well, most of it...I think I gained 8-10 lbs back, but now it is off and I plan to keep it off. Again, I have the help of a wonderful friend and we are doing it together. I know that this is my life. I can't just loose and go back to my old habits. I will never be able to eat what ever I want. What I do want is to be healthy. I want my kids to see how to eat in moderation and to make good choices (and that fun treats are just that, treats!). I still look in the mirror and see (ok, I not going to be PC here) 'fat girl'. But I know that I am healthier and my clothes are fitting so much better-ok I had to buy smaller clothes and any excuse for a new wardrobe is awesome!!
And my eating habits are helping my family eat better too. Tim is down 12 lbs too! So our 'how' is this: "Everything is permissible for me"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"--but I will not be mastered by anything. 1 Cor. 6:12

4 comments:

Melissa said...

You look AMAZING and have totally inspired me to keep going. We both are doing well and need to remember that! (However, DQ is opening soon!!) LOL! I love ya girlie and thanks for being there!

Camille said...

Good for you, Jess! I lost 50 lbs about 7 years ago and the hardest part for me was looking in the mirror and not seeing the "fat girl". I honestly am not sure that I ever really saw the weight loss in the mirror.

Kristi said...

I LOVE the verse you put with that! I'm writing it on sticky notes and putting them on every cabinet and fridge door!
Good for you and keep it up!

Amy Murphy said...

Oh, I so know what you mean; I'm not one of those people who can eat whatever they want, either. I am soooo bad about moderation.
Good for you! I'm glad you've been able to control the whole eating thing! :)