Friday, March 11, 2011

Why Teachers?




This was too great to pass up!
The caption underneath the artists cartoon on his blog read: "If you disagree with the idea that teachers are entitled to the benefits of a union, please feel free to employ the spelling, punctuation and writing skills you learned from teachers in the comment section of my blog."

This is a riot also:
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-exposes-the-lavish-lifestyle-of-the-american-public-school-teacher/

I really liked this quote on FORBES: In an era when criminal bankers go free, how did we decide that teachers should be punished?" asks Craig Crawford at The Huffington Post. Nobody ever got rich "trying to educate our kids against all odds," yet the same pundits who defended taxpayer-subsidized Wall Street bonuses have somehow turned teachers into villains. News flash: Teachers aren't the "fat cats draining tax dollars."

And if you feel that teachers are just highly paid babysitters, well then I say, pay us like a babysitter: http://blogs.forbes.com/erikkain/2011/03/03/are-teachers-overpaid/

I have to say that I am so glad Jordan wants to be a vet and not follow in her mom's foot steps. I love children, that is why I put up with all the terrible, negative comments. I put on average between $500-$700 into my classroom and students. I am also required to earn 6 college credits every 5-6 years and pay for them myself (approx. $2400). I was also shocked to hear that many of our elected officials do not have any type of college degree to which I have a Masters, but they make more than I do! No one is forcing them to get a degree! Who wants my job? All those who say that I do nothing for my salary? I have been puked on, pooped on, had to clean up said bodily fluids, witnessed abuse (physical, sexual, and neglect), filed reports while crying my eyes out for these children. I have sent home food and clothes with families. Many nights I bring my work home with me, on vacations with my family, and have worked numerous weekends. And for many, teachers don't do enough...but we get paid too much for what we do. What more...blood??!! No, I do not want my children to go into the profession that has turned into the proverbial punching bag. I am NOT looking for a "At-ta girl" here. Oh the best one yet was, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach". I know that I could have gone into just about any profession...but I do this for the kids. Yours and mine, so that they can become our future. Keeping my eyes on what is really important, those kids, who deserve my all everyday. Even despite all the negativity.

2 comments:

Amy Murphy said...

I'm glad that you are one of the ones who do this for the kids. In college, I saw far too many kids decide that their chosen major was too difficult and turn to a teaching degree (probably where the last quote comes from.) I applaud any one who goes in to teaching because they love kids and education. Keep up the good work!

Kristi said...

I was in those ranks with you for years. Chin up girl!