Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK Day and Snow

Well, no Chinese New Year Post today as there is just too much else to blog about!


Tim and I have never seriously discussed moving before...until this winter! Now don't panic-this family will not be leaving our beloved L_________ any time soon, however someday-and I stress "someday" we may be venturing south! Part of it is that we are tired of snow and cold. On Saturday we got at least 16 inches of snow here at our house, but it could have been as much as 20inches-who can tell after a certain point? Here are a couple of pics of the kids on our humongus snow hill:



The pictures just don't do it justice! I have also been diagnosed with a blood vessel issue in my hands and feet and the cold weather does a number on my ability to use my hands. But until then we will TRY to enjoy Gods snow and dream of ummmm...maybe the Carolina's??

Today as I did a little teaching on Martin Luther King Jr. and what he did for civil rights-I felt like I had a new prospective on racial equality. Not only do I have a few different races represented in my class, but this year brings on new meaning as we will soon be a racially mixed family. My co-worker Heather had a great illustration for MLK Day: Take a brown egg and a white egg and notice their outside differenences. Crack them open and ... they are the same on the inside! I just love it! I like to use the box of crayon illustration. If our box only contained green, we could make grass, but not a sky...and if our box only contained one color, we cannot make a rainbow. I am posting Mr. Kings speech as a reminder to us all of the great message he had the courage to spread. (Again, you will have to pause the music at the bottom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEMXaTktUfA

3 comments:

Kristi said...

The Carolinas are a great place to live if I say so myself! (Even if tonight MANY of us are praying with great anticipation that we actually get that 1 to 4 inches they are forecasting...)
Great imagery with the eggs ~ when I go back to preschool I may have to use that!

Melissa said...

Hey Jess...Raleigh got like 1-3 inches of snow last night. My friend Tim IM'ed me this morning to let me know that his work is closed because of ALL THE SNOW. I had to laugh. So, maybe you need to rethink that Carolina idea! LOL!

Duchess of Lanier said...

I'd love to visit your snow... Carolinas would be great because there is still some snow and when it comes everything closes for a little snow vacation. Here in Atlanta we get ice storms and only a dusting of snow every year. But your kids look like they had a blast.
Thinking of you for the updated waiting children list that came again this week.
Happy CNY!!!