Keeping it real here today and putting my feelings out there for all of you in blog-land. Not sure what Tim will say...but I think he understands me and my feelings. Gabe has been home for 9 months. 9 months of wonderful, funny, and somethings very challenging. There have been times where I have looked at our family and thought that we are perfect...just right...5 is our magic number. And then these past couple of weeks happened. What happened, I do not know, but the feelings that we should adopt again has hit me hard. Some call it a bug that bites, or a calling from God?? Not sure, but what I do know is that it is not possible for us to adopt again any time soon and we may not ever be able to adopt again from China. I can't really go into why, but I will say that a couple of year back, CC*AA tightened their rules for adopting, rules that we met last year, but not now. It has been hard for me-not sure why. We are young and have many years ahead of us if we decide to pursue adoption again in the future (there are other countries/programs). I know in the sensible part of my mind that this is ok, give Gabe lots of time being the baby, save some money for a change, do some things around the house that we have wanted to get done....many sensible reasons. My heart just hasn't checked it's email yet! But, I can honestly say if there is anyone out there with an open heart for orphans, there are over 1,000 children waiting for families on the China special needs list. I would loooove to talk to you about getting started!! Maybe that is my calling, finding homes for these sweet kids!???
So, not trying to replace these feelings, but to try something new and because we love kids and want to help...we have decided to do something that we are very excited about as a family. We are going to be hosting a 4 month exchange student from Aug. to Dec. this year! She is from Brazil and is 15. Jordan is so excited about getting a big sister for a while and we are praying it is a good experience for us as a family. There are horror stories, we know. We have heard many, but we have also heard many great heart warming ones as well. Our coordinator has hosting 10 students and has only had 1 not work out. So, God as you hear my prayers, I am asking that you bless this experience for us and help us to really connect with this beautiful child coming our way in a couple of months!
I think some retal therapy is due and Jordan's room may need a makeover to jump out of the little girl world to the bigger girl world!?? Hmmmmmmm.....

Flag of Brazil
4 comments:
I think that is a GREAT idea!! We had 2 exchange students in town this year and both were dream kids. I also know of friends personally who have done it and it didn't work out but the important thing is to stay on top of things and keep your coordinator in the loop with everything!
We no longer qualify for China either but my heart will never let it go. My head says stay off the lists my heart says, well I can just "look". So I totally understand!!!
An exchange student! What an amazing experience that could be for everyone in your family. Our son has only been home six months and we are feeling the tug to go back for another child, too. It's sad that you won't be able to return to China. Maybe a child is waiting for you somewhere else. Whatever happens, Gabe is clearly thriving! :)
A woman I work with just had a German exchange student for a year. I'd be happy to connect you with her if you'd like. She's on FB, just let me know. How fun! I think it will be a great experience.
Jolene
I know what you mean about wanting to go back, but not being able to at this point. My husband's not ready (those guys are always sooo worried about the financial, huh?) but I've been praying that God would make it somehow possible to go back sooner than we think we can. Or that he would show us His plan.
We have the opportunity to host an exchange student from China this coming school year! We are not sure if we're going to do it, yet, but it would be an awesome opportunity.
I hope you have a great experience w/ your exchange student! And I pray that God would show you His path and help you to wait for His timing.
Post a Comment