I loved this pic that I took on one of our first days in China.
Friday, October 29, 2010
Feeling defensive
We love China! However, I do not always agree with things that they do or things that happen there. Kind of the same way I feel about the US! (We love our dear USA too!) China is where my baby's birth parents are. China is my baby's birth country. My son is Chinese. We have things all over our home that are Chinese (no, not just things that say 'made in China'). And it breaks my heart each time I hear a politician, or a community member say something negative about China. Lately it is something I hear more and more. I want to cover Gabe's ears as well as my other kiddos (Jordan is very observant). From my understanding it is not the Chinese people that are getting the grief, but corporate China and corporate America and their choice of where they do their business. I just wish that it wouldn't sound like a smear campaign on a Country and its people that is half us.

I loved this pic that I took on one of our first days in China.
I loved this pic that I took on one of our first days in China.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh I know! I'm standing right with you on that!
I feel the same way. What's weird is I notice that people try not to bash China in front of me, which is kind of nice, but I do remind people that there are definitely things I do not agree with either. I hope people will learn to be more sensitive around Gabe.
When someone says something negative about China around me, they quickly add, "Oh, not the PEOPLE!" It actually makes me laugh sometimes. I mean, we all know their government... (I won't publicly bash,) and they're not really bashing any Chinese people, let alone my son. Luckily, he's too young to hear any of the "China bashing." Hopefully, he won't have to deal with any of it as he grows older, either.
I hear you. We'll deal with it as we go. What else to do? If the most challenging thing we have to discuss with out children is explaining different political views, I guess we get of easily. ;)
Post a Comment