Sunday, October 18, 2009

The real deal

Trying to keep it real, so...
About 80-85% of our day is awesome! Gabe is such a fun loving sweet little man. He loves to play with his cars and turn just about anything he can into a gun. Everyday he is repeating more and more words, but still relies on his mandarin. He really likes to say "Uh Oh!", "all done", and "Up pease, up pease". Oh and we say "Gabe, get your shoes on" and he starts his singing/chant of, "shoes-on shoes-on!".
The other 20% is not always so rosy. We still have some dandy temper tantrums, however, not to the extent of that first week. He really doesn't know boundaries, or good/bad behavior. He throws things at the kids, hits, and sometimes will scratch. I really know it is not to hurt them, but it as if he doesn't realize it will hurt them. He also struggles with Jay a bit-if Jay has it, he wants it. And this is new for all of us. We are working through it.
Today was one of those days-this am was great. Gabe did very well in church and we even tried Sunday School. Of course I stayed with him, and he made it through most of the class. It is hard as he doesn't understand much of what it is about or the lesson. After his nap was another story. He woke up a major crab and just seemed to whine/cry over everything. We went outside and was great, but after a while he didn't want to walk alone, or at all, general unhappiness and threw one of his fits. I have a feeling a good chunk would be avoidable if we could communicate a little better. We will see where we are in another month...


I love love love my kiddos! They are awesome!

3 comments:

Jolene Powell said...

Just to give you some hope, Tyson's tantrums are less than 1x a day. He only truly freaks out when he sees me preparing his meal because he wants it NOW! LOL! He has regressed a bit over the weekend to hitting again...I think it's frustration.

Look how far you've come! You're doing great, and so is Gabe! I love his glasses. My Kacie wore glasses at age 3...they make them look so academic!

Amy Murphy said...

It will get better. Ewen had so many tantrums while we were in China and shortly after we came home. Now, he hardly ever has any. Looking back, I think it may have had a great deal to do with the language barrier, even though I think he understood a great deal. Just be consistent from the start and show him what is expected of him. It will get better!

Kristi said...

Hang in there! Have you tried any basic sign language? We did find that once Caleb could communicate with us a bit more that most of the R(andom)A(cts)of V(iolence)around our house really slowed down!